Finals week is now underway and already UCLA students across campus have settled into “Finals Mode”. Finals mode includes an increase in studying, a decrease in sleep, excess coffee, and a more frequent use of libraries. In the midst of finals week craziness, it is important to take a moment to breathe and find our sanity once again. Here are a few tips:
- Schedule in some study breaks! Studying is extremely important, but you also don’t want to burn yourself out before your test! After every couple of hours, take the time to go on a walk, get lunch with a friends, or something else that is easy and relaxing!
- Pick a good playlist! I can get so distracted by what music I listen to when I study, which defeats the purpose of listening to music. Pick something classical or something mellow. My personal favorite is my “Civil Wars” Pandora station, but I’ve also recently discovered Blind Pilot!
- Go work out! This is a great stress reliever. The morning of your final, put on your running shoes and do a quick run around campus or go to the Wooden Center (which is considerably less crowded during finals week). Find a friend and play some racketball.
- Lay off the coffee after 11pm! Sleep is just as important as study breaks. Coffee is excellent (clearly I’m a fan), but after a certain time of night it can really mess with your schedule. There is nothing worse than spending a long day studying then not being able to sleep before your 8am final because you drank too much coffee. Instead of coffee at night…
- Drink tea! It comes in a variety of flavors and levels of caffeine
- Change up your location every once in awhile! Go to the 24 hour Starbucks in Westwood, check out all of the finals week special hours at Kerckhoff or Ackerman, or go to UBC’s study spot on Wilshire for free food and wifi! (Yes…free)
Finals week can seem daunting, but take some deep breaths and you will be just fine! Professors aren’t “out to get you” and UCLA wants to help you out (as does the surrounding community)!