This past weekend, I moved into Westwood Village North, where a cluster of apartments have been in the area for some time now, to serve UCLA students who typically move out of the dorms after their second or third undergraduate year. At UCLA, we don’t have to worry about moving off campus right away (some friends at another university had to frantically look for an apartment after their freshman year) because we lead the UCs in guaranteeing housing for three years, and are currently working on guaranteeing four. That’s something we’re very proud of because it gives students ample time to accustom themselves to the neighborhood around school and gain “street” knowledge of the real estate market in Westwood.
I myself moved out of the dorms a year earlier than necessary because I wanted a taste of apartment life and having my own living room. However, I already miss many things about the dorms. Where else can you walk to see all your friends within 5 minutes? Where else do you have easy access to half a dozen residential restaurants, half of which have takeout options, one of which has gelato, and another a coffee shop? And if I wanted a living room, choosing a suite in Hitch or Saxon would have given me exactly that. Although it is nice to have your own furniture and kitchen, I’m so glad to have gone through the dorming experience, where I didn’t have to worry about cooking and had the opportunity to meet 10,000 other residents living on the Hill.
10 Things on Your Hill Bucket List
- Study in Covel Commons computer lab or study rooms.
- Try gelato at Cafe 1919.
- Eat in all of the residential restaurants at least once.
- Study in your house/floor study lounge. Great place to meet people in your house/floor!
- Study in another house/floor’s study lounge. Great way to meet others in your residential community!
- Play basketball or volleyball on the courts near the Suites.
- Work out or hang out at Sunset Canyon Recreation Center.
- Order De Neve Late Night pizza to share with roommates and floormates.
- Line up at Bruin Cafe for coffee during the rush right before it closes at 2 a.m.
- Watch TV or play pool/ping pong in the huge lounge in Hedrick Summit.