In the last post, I offered some general packing tips. Now in Part 2, I will give you some really basic, completely obvious tips on how to organize yourself for the packing process:
- Drink some tea / eat dried fruit / listen to Beyonce. Do anything that will put you in an awesome mood for packing. It takes so much motivation to pack. Actually shoving clothes into bags is not hard at all, but there are always SO MANY clothes. So first thing’s first, take deep breaths, do some squats, or give yourself a pep talk—anything to get you prepped for packing your whole life away.
- Make sure your packing area is clear. You can have a totally crazy,messy room, but if you are packing on your bedroom floor, that floor better have enough space for you to fold, sort, lay down if you are stressed, etc. Sorting things by laying them down on top of other things gets confusing, so just make sure everything in your immediate vicinity is nice and tidy.
- Make a list of what you need to pack! In your mind, go through everything you do in the average week and think about all the stuff that you use. Be sure to include every little thing. Remember that you trim your nails with a nail clipper. Recall that you you have a little dish to hold your iPod headphones. Everything you use goes on that packing list to ensure that your life at school will be just like your life at home (unless you are into playing MacGyver, in which case your packing list should include a toothpick and another toothpick).
- Take your packed things to the car in the order that you want to unload them into the cart, which is the reverse order that you will be unloading them into your room (for the most part, exceptions to this would be your hanging things). Simpler version: you want your lamp first thing when you get into your room? Pack that first, so that it’s the last thing you place into your cart, so it’s on the top and the first thing you get in your room.
- Last piece of advice, keep those bags! Just tuck them away somewhere in your room because before you know it you will need to repack everything and bags are the way to go.
Good luck packing. I know I will need it.